Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Story of a Fish



This is really a story less about a fish and more about a wonderful guy.

So, last week, one of my fish died.

You see, I got two fish. One was a little tetra and the other was a plecostomus. I named them Fish and Chips. I got them because sometimes it is just nice to have something to take care of-something to say "hi" to when you walk in the door.

Anyway, last week I was up late doing homework; and, when I decided it was time to go to bed, I discovered that Fish had died. I was brushing my teeth when I turned around and saw him. Of course, the first thing I did was call Nathan, and this is where the story really begins.

I called Nathan, upset, and told him Fish had died. He said he would come over and take him out of the bowl for me. A few minutes later (it is 1:30 in the morning, mind you) he knocked on my door. As soon as I saw him I burst into tears. Wouldn't you know, Nathan didn't make fun of my fish tears; he just hugged me.

Later, after Nathan had flushed the fish, he assured me that it wasn't my fault and that Fish was in heaven with as much fish food as he could possibly eat. He was sucking the algae off the sides of the great tank in the sky. Then, the most wonderful thing happened.

Nathan looked at me and said, "Sydney, I love you because you have the biggest heart. You are upset over a little fish because you cared for it."

And then I started crying all over again. In fact, I am a little teary now. Because even though the emotion of the moment may not come through when you are just reading it, it was one of those times when everything seems right.

Nathan could have made fun of me (and he probably should have), but the truth of it was that I was very distraught over the death  of Fish. Instead of mocking, Nathan just loved me. He loved me in the silliness of my emotions.

He walked across campus in the middle of the night.
He scooped a dead fish out of a bowl and flushed him after promising his crying girlfriend that he would say nice words while he flushed.
He wiped my tears.
He proved once again that I am the luckiest girl.

I feel so blessed to be loved by Nathan. It is a really special thing, that love of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thank you for leaving a comment! Please keep in mind that this blog is a positive space, and that kindness and a welcoming, accepting attitude is imperative. :-)

Followers